There is no magic formula to obtaining an Outstanding CRA rating.
The FFIEC has published CRA examination procedures that are used by the Federal bank regulators to conduct CRA exams. The procedures are specific to the bank’s CRA size.
During an examination, the CRA examiner will consider dozens of factors to determine a bank’s overall CRA rating. These include:
- Responsiveness to the needs of the bank’s community and assessment areas
- Performance context for the bank
- Economic factors and composition of the bank’s assessment areas
- Lending activity in comparison to peers
- Overall branch and retail banking services
- Innovative and flexible solutions
- Complexity and value of bank community development investments
- Community development services and programs
- Bank volunteerism