New summary tables from the 2018 Rental Housing Finance Survey (RHFS) are now available in the RHFS table creator. The RHFS provides measures of financial, mortgage and property characteristics of residential properties with at least one housing unit for rent in the United States. It is the only data source that provides a comprehensive picture of mortgage financing for all types of rental properties.
The RHFS collects data on the following:
- Property characteristics–property value, purchase price, year built, year acquired, number of buildings, number of rental units, and recent improvements and upgrades.
- Rental status and rent levels within residential structures.
- Commercial use of space within residential structures.
- Property management status.
- Ownership status.
- Benefits received from federal, state, local and nongovernmental programs.
- Mortgage characteristics–number of mortgages (or debts) on the property, original/ outstanding loan amounts, interest rates, and frequency of payments (biweekly, monthly, annually, one-time, etc.).
The RHFS is sponsored by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Census Bureau conducts the RHFS. Data were collected from May 2018 to September 2018. The reference period of the survey was all 12 months of 2017.
Data users can create and download customized tables in PDF and Excel formats from the table creator.
For more information about the RHFS, visit: <www.census.gov/programs-surveys/rhfs.html>.