The latest version of Census Business Builder — version 2.2 — now includes the ability for a user to upload their own data and to view it along with U.S. Census Bureau and other data.
The Small Business Edition and Regional Analyst Edition of Census Business Builder allow business owners and regional planners to easily navigate and use key demographic and economic data to help guide their research into their markets and their regional economy. The Small Business Edition is built primarily for small business owners who need key data for their business plan or to better understand their potential market. The Regional Analyst Edition is built for chambers of commerce and regional planning staff who need a broad portrait of the people and businesses in their service area.
This latest version also includes:
- Agriculture data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service. Data are provided at the two-digit sector, and for selected three- and four-digit agricultural North American Industry Classification System codes at the national and state levels. These statistics include the number of farm operations, number of farm operators, contract and hired labor expenses and farm revenue.
- Trade data on total imports and exports, broken out by mode of transportation (Air & Vessel), for selected three- and four-digit agriculture, mining and manufacturing NAICS codes at the national and state level.
- Expanded and updated consumer spending from Esri. The update will also add 50 additional detailed spending breakouts, such as spending on dining out, broken out by breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- A reference layers tool that allow users to view a map reference layer by either selecting it from a gallery or by uploading their own ShapeFile or map service.
- Customizable dashboards and reports. Users can now choose which parts of the dashboards and generated reports they want to view and download.
- Deep links into the American FactFinder tool to additional data not shown in Census Business Builder, auto-hiding the dashboard and legend and other usability improvements.
Census Business Builder Version 2.2 is the latest of several updates to Census Business Builder since its initial introduction in 2015. Version 2.2 continues to incorporate feedback from customers and stakeholders, including small business owners, trade associations and other government agencies.
You can learn more about version 2.2 in our blog on Responding to Our Customers — Census Business Builder version 2.2. For an embeddable graphic about these new updates, check out Census Business Builder Now Updated!