The U.S. Census Bureau’s schedule for the release of the 2018 American Community Survey data is as follows:
Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019 (embargo begins at 10 a.m. EDT, Sept. 24)
- 2018 American Community Survey — Statistics on numerous demographic, social, economic and housing characteristics, including language spoken at home, educational attainment, commute to work, employment, mortgage status and rent, as well as income, poverty and health insurance coverage, will be available. Statistics will be available for geographic areas with populations of 65,000 or more. Embargo subscribers can access these statistics beginning at 10 a.m. EDT Tuesday, Sept. 24, for release at 12:01 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 26.
- 2018 American Community Survey Detailed Tables, Data Profiles and Summary File.
Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019
- 2018 American Community Survey 1-year Comparison Profiles, Selected Population Profiles, Subject Tables.
Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019
- 2018 American Community Survey Public Use Microdata Sample —The Public Use Microdata Sample Files will be released and provide a 1% sample of the U.S. population for users to create their own tabulations.
Thursday, Dec. 19, 2019 (embargo begins at 10 a.m. EDT, Dec. 17)
- 2014-2018 American Community Survey — The statistics derived from five years of data collection cover all geographic areas regardless of size, down to the block-group level. Users will be able to compare two nonoverlapping five-year periods (2009-2013 and 2014-2018). Embargo subscribers can access these statistics beginning at 10 a.m. EDT, Tuesday, Dec. 17, for release at 12:01 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 19.
- 2014-2018 American Community Survey 5-year Detailed Tables, Data Profiles and Summary File.
Thursday, Jan 16, 2020
- 2014-2018 American Community Survey 5-year Comparison Profiles, Subject Tables, and Narrative Profiles.
Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020
- 2014-2018 American Community Survey Public Use Microdata Sample — The Public Use Microdata Sample files provide a 5% sample of the U.S. population for users to create their own tabulations.
- 2014-2018 American Community Survey 5-year Variance Replicate Estimates — This provides expanded versions of 107 detailed tables published on data.census.gov. In addition to the published estimates and margins of error, 80 replicates for variance calculations are also provided. This is designed to help advanced users calculate the margins of error when aggregating across geographies or collapsing categories within tables without using approximation formulas. The replicate tables will be released on the FTPsite with links available on data.census.gov.
Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020
- 2018 American Community Survey 1-year Supplemental Estimates —This product consists of 59 detailed tables tabulated from the 2018 American Community Survey for geographies with populations of 20,000 or more.
Statistical Testing Spreadsheet
This American Community Survey statistical comparison tool helps users carry out statistical testing for two or more American Community Survey estimates. The spreadsheet factors in the margin of error to determine whether the estimates are significantly different (higher or lower) from each other or are not significantly different (statistically tied) from each other. For more information on using the statistical testing tool, click here to read our blog.
About the American Community Survey
The American Community Survey provides a wide range of important statistics about people and housing for every community across the nation. The results are used by a wide variety of users from town and city planners to retailers and homebuilders. The survey is the only source of local estimates for most of the 40 topics it covers, such as income, poverty, health insurance coverage, education, occupation, language, ancestry and housing costs.