The U.S. Census Bureau’s schedule for the release of the 2021 Income, Poverty and Health Insurance statistics from the Current Population SurveyAnnual Social and Economic Supplement (CPS ASEC) and the American Community Survey (ACS) is as follows:
Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2022 (no embargo): CPS ASEC will be released for calendar year 2021.
- National 2021 income statistics: Annual release of estimates on income, earnings and inequality in order to evaluate national economic trends and to understand their effect on the well-being of households and individuals.
- National 2021 poverty statistics: Annual release of official poverty and Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM) estimates to help understand the economic well-being of households, families and individuals based on national poverty rates and SPM rates for the nation and states. This is the first year that official poverty and SPM estimates will be released in the same report.
- National 2021 health insurance coverage statistics: Annual release of national-level health insurance coverage estimates highlighting national trends in health coverage and examining characteristics by health insurance status in order to better understand the well-being of individuals. State-level ACS data will be released September 15.
Thursday, Sept. 15, 2022 (embargo Sept. 13): 2021 ACS 1-year estimates will be released.
- 2021 American Community Survey: Statistics on numerous demographic, social, economic and housing characteristics (including language spoken at home, educational attainment, commute to work, employment, mortgage status and rent, as well as income, poverty and health insurance coverage) will be available. Statistics will be available for geographic areas with populations of 65,000 or more. Embargo subscribers can access these statistics beginning at 10 a.m. EDT, Tuesday, Sept. 13, for release at 12:01 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 15.
- 2021 American Community Survey Data Profiles, Detailed Tables, Comparison Profiles, Selected Population Profiles, Subject Tables and Summary File.
- State-level 2021 health insurance coverage statistics: State uninsured rates, along with private and public health insurance coverage rates, will be included in the ACS release.
Statistical Testing Spreadsheet
This American Community Survey statistical comparison tool helps users carry out statistical testing for two or more ACS estimates. The spreadsheet factors in the margin of error to determine whether the estimates are significantly different (higher or lower) or are not significantly different from each other. For more information on using the statistical testing tool, click here to read our blog.
About the Current Population Survey Annual Social and Economic Supplement
The Current Population Survey serves as the nation’s primary source of statistics on labor force characteristics. The Annual Social and Economic Supplement provides the official annual statistics on the nation’s poverty levels as well as statistics on income, health insurance coverage, marital status, educational attainment, employee benefits, work experience, school enrollment, noncash benefits and migration. The Census Bureau and the Bureau of Labor Statistics have conducted the Current Population Survey for more than 50 years. The statistics are used by government policymakers as important indicators of our nation’s economy and for planning and evaluating many government programs.
About the American Community Survey
The American Community Survey provides a wide range of important statistics about people and housing for every community across the nation that everyone from city planners to retailers and homebuilders use to make decisions. The survey is the only source of local estimates for most of the 40 topics it covers, including income, poverty, health insurance coverage, education, occupation, language, ancestry and housing costs.