Revenue generated by service sector firms increased 4.4 percent between 2015 and 2016, according to statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 Service Annual Survey (SAS). Revenue for all service sectors covered by the program is estimated at $15.5 trillion for 2016.
This is the first SAS release to include information for the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) sector 72, Accommodation and Food Services. Activities classified in this sector were previously included in the Annual Retail Trade Survey.
The SAS provides statistics on revenue, payroll, sources of revenue, expenses, exports, inventory, e-commerce and other selected industry-specific data for companies whose primary business or operation is to provide services to individuals, businesses and governments from a sample of approximately 78,000 service businesses with paid employees. Administrative records data or imputed values supplement the survey to account for nonresponse, as well as nonemployer and certain other businesses. The survey has been conducted annually since 1982.
Utilities (NAICS 22)
- Revenue generated by firms in the Utilities sector declined 1.1 percent to $571.1 billion in 2016.
Transportation and Warehousing (NAICS 48-49)
- Transportation and Warehousing firms generated $957.6 billion of revenue in 2016.
- Truck Transportation (NAICS 484) employer firms revenue was $258.5 billion in 2016, down 1.8 percent from 2015.
Information (NAICS 51)
- Revenue generated by companies in the Information sector increased 6.6 percent to $1.5 trillion in 2016.
- Wired Telecommunication Carriers (NAICS 5171) employer revenue increased 6.3 percent to $325.6 billion in 2016.
- Employer firms in the Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services industry (NAICS 518) generated $143.3 billion in 2016, an increase of 10.3 percent from 2015.
Finance and Insurance (NAICS 52)
- Revenue generated by Finance and Insurance firms increased 4.1 percent to $4.3 trillion in 2016.
- Employer firms in the Commercial Banking industry (NAICS 52211) saw revenue increase 7.7 percent to $421.7 billion in 2016.
- Revenue generated by employer firms in the Direct Life, Health, and Medical Insurance Carriers industry (NAICS 52411) increased 3.9 percent to $1.4 trillion in 2016.
Real Estate and Rental and Leasing (NAICS 53)
- Real Estate and Rental and Leasing companies generated $903.1 billion in revenue in 2016, an increase of 4.7 percent from 2015.
- Employer firms in the Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers industry (NAICS 5312) saw a revenue increase of 10.1 percent to $102.3 billion in 2016.
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (NAICS 54)
- Revenue for Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services firms grew 4.7 percent to $1.9 trillion in 2016.
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services (NAICS 5415) employers generated revenue of $368.7 billion in 2016, an increase of 5.9 percent from 2015.
- Management Consulting Services (NAICS 54161) employers generated $211.6 billion revenue in 2016, an increase of 5.8 percent from 2015.
Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services (NAICS 56)
- Revenue generated by firms classified in this sector increased 6.8 percent to $921.7 billion in 2016.
- Revenue generated by Professional Employer Organizations (NAICS 56133), employer firms that provide human resources and human resource management services to client businesses, increased 12.7 percent to $165.1 billion in 2016.
Educational Services (NAICS 61)
- Revenue generated by companies in the Educational Services sector increased 3.4 percent to $72.9 billion in 2016. This includes Business Schools and Computer and Management Training; Technical and Trade Schools; and Educational Support Services. Elementary and Secondary Schools; Junior Colleges; and Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools are out-of-scope for this survey.
Health Care and Social Assistance (NAICS 62)
- Health Care and Social Assistance sector revenue increased 5.4 percent to $2.5 trillion in 2016.
- Ambulatory Health Care Services (NAICS 621) employer revenue climbed 5.3 percent to $960.8 billion in 2016. This subsector includes health care practitioners not typically providing inpatient services, such as Offices of Physicians, Offices of Dentists, and Outpatient Care Centers.
- Employer firms in the Hospitals (NAICS 622) industry saw revenue increase of 5.7 percent to $1.1 trillion in 2016.
Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation (NAICS 71)
- Revenue in the Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation sector rose 5.1 percent to $285.8 billion in 2016.
Accommodation and Food Services (NAICS 72)
- Accommodation and Food Services sector revenue increased 5.4 percent to $905.0 billion in 2016.
- Full-Service Restaurants (NAICS 722511) employer firms generated $280.2 billion in revenue in 2016, an annual increase of 3.9 percent. Full-service restaurants are those where patrons order and are served while seated and pay after eating.
- Employer firms in the Limited-Service Restaurants (NAICS 722513) industry saw revenue increase 7.0 percent to $235.1 billion in 2016.
Other Services (NAICS 81)
- Revenue in the Other Services sector increased 3.9 percent to $617.4 billion in 2016. This sector includes Repair and Maintenance; Personal and Laundry Services; and Religious, Grantmaking, Civic, Professional, and Similar Organizations.
No news release associated with this product. Tip Sheet only.
Percentage changes quoted in the release are calculated using estimates rounded to millions as provided in the tables. Also, note that estimates are not adjusted for price changes.
As is the case with all surveys, statistics from sample surveys are subject to sampling and nonsampling error. All comparisons made in this release have been tested and found to be statistically significant at the 90 percent confidence level, unless otherwise noted. Please consult the tables for measures of sampling variability. For more information about the Service Annual Survey, including information on confidentiality protection, sampling error, nonsampling error and definitions, see <www.census.gov/services/sas/sastechdoc.html>.